Trade Adjustment Assistance

The TAA Program has been extended through fiscal year 2015.  Visit the DOL Web site External Link Icon for more information. 

What is Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA)?

TAA assists workers who are unemployed due to increased imports from, or production shifts to foreign countries. The TAA program goal is to help trade-affected workers return to suitable employment as quickly as possible. Visit the U.S. Department of Labor Web siteExternal Link Icon for more detailed information.

TAA-certified workers may access job search allowances, relocation allowances, and retraining. TAA participants who require retraining to obtain suitable employment may receive occupational training or on-the-job training if determined eligible.

The TAA program is administered by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration. The Arizona Department of Economic Security administers the TAA program for the Department of Labor. The certification process is initiated by filing a petitionExternal Link Icon for determination that the company's layoffs were trade-affected. Once the investigation concludes and the company certification is granted, each individual worker must apply for eligibility.

Priority of Service: Priority of Service is given to veterans and eligible spouses. Refer to the AZDES Veterans’ Priority of Service Web page for more information. 
How does TAA Work?

A petition is filed with the U.S. Department of Labor by or on behalf of a group of workers who have lost, or may lose, their jobs or experienced a reduction in wages as a result of foreign trade. The Department of Labor investigates the facts and makes a determination whether foreign trade was an important cause of the threatened or actual job loss or wage reduction. If the department grants the petition to certify the worker group, individuals in the group will receive a notice of potential eligibility and a TAA program application from the Arizona Trade Coordinator. If you are determined eligible, based on your application, you should immediately apply for benefits with your local TAA Counselor. To locate an Employment Service office and a TAA Counselor, visit our online DES Office Locator (click on "Employment" then click the box to the left of "Employment Service" and follow the "Instructions" at the bottom of the page).

Who Files a Petition?

A petition may be filed by an employer of a private company or public agency that:
  • has shifted or will shift production or service operations to a foreign country;
  • will import products made in a foreign country, or is already doing so;
  • has acquired or will acquire services from a foreign country that are like or competitive with services previously or currently provided by a public agency;
  • is losing, or has lost sales to customers importing products or services from another country;
  • is losing or has lost business as a supplier, finisher, or assembler of products or components for a company that is already certified as trade-affected; or
  • is a "value-added" producer or service provider to a trade certified company.

A petition may also be filed by:

  • a group of three or more workers;
  • a union official or other duly authorized worker representative;
  • an official company representative;
  • an Employment Service staff member;
  • the state dislocated worker unit; or
  • a One-Stop Operator or One-Stop partner.

up arrow

How is a Petition Filed?

You can complete the TAA petition form online or print and complete it by hand. The TAA Petition form and instructions for completing and filing the petition by Fax or U.S. Mail, and the downloadable form are available onlineExternal Link Icon

Review the Frequently Asked QuestionsExternal Link Icon before completing your petition.

If you are unable to download a petition, a TAA Counselor at an Employment Service office can provide a petition. Complete and sign two TAA petitions and send one to each of the following addresses by fax or U.S. Mail:


United States Department of Labor
Employment and Training Administration
Office of Trade Adjustment Assistance
Room N-5428
200 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20210
Phone: (202) 693-3560 or 1 (888)DOL-OTAA
(1 (888) 365-6822)
Fax: (202) 693-3584 or 3585
Web site: Link Icon
Arizona Trade Coordinator
400 W. Congress, Suite 420
Tucson, Arizona 85701
Phone: (520) 628-6810
Fax: (520) 584-9567       



How do I Find Out if my Employer is Trade Act Certified?

To find out if your former employer is Trade Adjustment Assistance certified or to check on the status of a petition, enter your former employer's name at the U.S. Department of Labor's Search for TAA CasesExternal Link Icon Web page. 

If the employer has been TAA certified and you have not been notified by mail, call your local TAA Counselor or the Arizona Trade Coordinator to inquire whether you have been listed as a trade-affected worker. 

Am I Eligible for TAA?

Once the layoff has been certified, you will receive a letter from the Arizona TAA Coordinator explaining the various TAA benefits and how to apply for them. If you know your layoff has been certified, even if you have not received a letter, you may contact a TAA Counselor at your local Employment Service office to request a determination of your individual eligibility for TAA benefits.  To locate an Employment Service office and a TAA Counselor, visit our online DES Office Locator (click on "Employment" then click the box to the left of "Employment Service" and follow the "Instructions" at the bottom of the page).

Your TAA Counselor will submit a request for determination. You will receive a "TAA Determination” by mail. When you receive your determination, you should immediately schedule an appointment with your local TAA Counselor. The counselor will help you determine what TAA reemployment services you may need. 

up arrow

Large textLarge Font Small textSmall Font   PrintPrint EmailEmail  Average3.5out of 5
LEP Flags