Monetary Eligibility for Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Unemployment Insurance (UI) payments (benefits) are intended to provide temporary financial assistance to unemployed workers who meet the requirements of state law.  There are several factors that will or could possibly impact your eligibility for Unemployment Insurance benefits:

Monetary Eligibility


  1. You must meet specific requirements for wages earned or time worked during an established period of time referred to as a base period, including having wages in at least two quarters of the base period.
  2. To qualify for benefits, you must have worked for an employer who paid unemployment tax and you must have earned:

    • At least 390 times the Arizona minimum wage in your highest earning quarter and the total of the other three quarters must equal at least one half of the amount in your high quarter. (For example, if you made $5000 in your highest quarter you need to have earned a total of $2500 within the remaining three quarters combined,) or
    • At least $7000 in total wages in at least two quarters of the base period, with wages in one quarter equal to $5987.50 or more.
  3. You must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own (determined under state law), and meet other eligibility requirements of state law.
  4. If you have Arizona wages and also worked in another state, or currently reside in Arizona and have earnings from employers in two or more other states (within the base period), you may choose to combine these wages to establish monetary eligibility. If you were employed in more than one state at any time during the current base period, you may have the option of:
    • Filing a claim against any state in which you were employed using only the wages from that state, or
    • Filing a claim against any state in which you were employed, using the wages from all states in which you earned wages.

State unemployment laws, weekly benefit amounts and eligibility requirements vary between states. Which option is best for you will depend upon the laws in each state that you worked. Information regarding eligibility and award calculations in other states is found on the Web sitesExternal Link Icon of most states.

  1. If all of your employment during the base period has been in a state other than Arizona, you must file a claim for benefits against that state. Visit America’s Service LocatorExternal Link Icon Web site for contact information for other states.
  2. If you have recently separated from the military and have not yet filed an unemployment insurance claim, you must be residing in Arizona for assignment of the wages to an Arizona claim. If you are not residing in Arizona, your claim must be filed against the state in which you are residing. Visit America’s Service LocatorExternal Link Icon Web site for contact information for other states.

In some cases, wages earned by aliens, employees of educational institutions or private school bus contractors and employees of transient lodging establishments may not be used to establish monetary eligibility.  Learn more.

If you are determined monetarily ineligible for benefits and all of the wages on your Wage Statement (UB-107) are correct, you may file again when the quarter changes.

If the wages on your Wage Statement (UB-107) are incorrect or missing, you may file a Wage Protest. You must continue to file your weekly claims while a wage investigation is in progress.

Top Page  

Reason for Separation from Your Last Employer
Receipt of Vacation, Dismissal, Separation (Severance) or Sick Pay
Other Issues That May Impact Eligibility

Related Topics:

Large textLarge Font Small textSmall Font   PrintPrint EmailEmail  Average3out of 5
LEP Flags