Important information regarding the Arizona UI (Unemployment Insurance) 
Electronic Payment Card

The Arizona Department of Economic Security uses a debit card (Electronic Payment Card or EPC) to disperse payment of UI benefits.  Presently, the EPC is provided through JP Morgan/Chase Bank Visa.  Effective October 1, 2013, your JP Morgan/Chase card will be replaced by a card issued from the Bank of America.


What do I need to know about this change to the Bank of America EPC?  

Beginning on September 9, 2013 through September 21, 2013, you will receive an EPC card from BOTH JP Morgan/Chase Visa and Bank of America.  The JP Morgan/Chase EPC will be active through September 30, 2013.  You should immediately activate BOTH cards upon receipt.  Instructions for activation should be included with your EPC.    

Effective October 1, 2013, your JP Morgan/Chase EPC will no longer have benefits deposited to the account and your UI benefit payments will be deposited to your Bank of America EPC.

When will my benefits payments be sent to the Bank of America EPC?

Effective October 1, 2013, if you are receiving UI benefit payments, they will be automatically deposited into your Bank of America EPC.

What do I do with my JP Morgan/Chase EPC?

Benefits deposited to the JP Morgan/Chase EPC will remain in your account until the balance is ZERO. Do not discard your JP Morgan/Chase EPC until you have used up all funds that have previously been added.  If you wish to remain with JP Morgan/Chase Bank, you need to contact them to open a new account and request that a direct deposit be set up through them.

What if my JP Morgan/Chase EPC has expired?

  • If there is a balance remaining on your card, contact JP Morgan Chase at 1(866) 802-7011.
  • If there is no available balance, there is no need to do anything--you can destroy the card.

Can I transfer funds from my JP Morgan/Chase EPC to the new Bank of America card?

No.  The JP Morgan/Chase card will be good until the expiration date on the card.  It is important that you use the funds that were sent to this card before it expires.

What should I do if either card is lost or stolen?

If you have unused funds on your JP Morgan/Chase EPC, you must contact them.  If the card that was lost or stolen was issued by Bank of America, you must contact them.

Bank of America Customer Service
Toll free Customer Service Number: 1(855) 847-2030
TTY: 1(866) 656-5913
Website: Link Icon

JP Morgan/Chase Customer Service
Toll free Customer Service number: 1 (866) 802-7011
TTY: 1 (800) 367-8939


up arrow

Large textLarge Font Small textSmall Font   PrintPrint EmailEmail  Average2out of 5
LEP Flags